Chihuahua is the smallest breed of dog best known for its tiny appearance, large round eyes, and upright ears. This small breed comes with a ton of personality and makes a perfect companion for people who live in small apartments.
Due to their petty statue and fast metabolism Chihuahuas need small quantities of high-quality food. All dogs have the same basic nutritional needs, however, the dietary requirements of Chihuahua differ quite a bit compared to a Golden Retriever.
However, finding the best dog food for Chihuahua can be tricky since there are so many different types and food brands. To help you narrow your search we will list 5 foods that meet the dietary needs of your pup.
Life Protection Formula for toy breed adult dogs by Blue Buffalo is made from high-quality ingredients and sports LifeSource Bits. These pieces of kibble are cooked on lower temperatures in order to preserve all the necessary macronutrients.
The main ingredient in this dog food is Deboned Lamb, followed by Turkey Meal. Combined they create a min of 24% crude protein that supports muscle and tissue growth.
Brown Rice, Barley, and Oatmeal are complex carbohydrates that are easier to digest and are good sources of fibers. This formula contains 4% crude fiber which is enough to keep any Chihuahua’s stomach full.
Chicken fat and Flaxseed support healthy skin and coat, give the food delicious taste and provide enough energy for active dogs. 14% crude fat is an optimal amount for this tiny breed and won’t cause weight gain.
This formula contains fresh fruits and vegetables that are also supplemented in order to support a strong immune system and overall health. Glucosamine is added to support joints and mobility and is very important for your Chihuahua.
Chihuahua puppies need a premium quality calorie dense food without fillers like corn gluten, artificial colors, and preservatives. Nutro Ultra small breed puppy formula doesn’t contain GMO ingredients and by-products.
The main ingredient Chicken is combined with Chicken Meal to provide higher protein content developing puppies need. With 29% crude protein you can rest assured that your cup sized pup’s muscles and tissues will develop normally.
Whole Brown Rice and Brewers Rice are healthy carbohydrates that will keep your pup’s stomach full and his glucose levels in check. With 4% crude fiber, this is easy to digest formula that won’t cause constipation or diarrhea.
Chicken fat is the main source of energy for a still-developing puppy and it also supports healthy skin and coat. With 16% crude fat your puppy will have plenty of energy for daily activities and growth.
Dried Kale, Spinach, and Blueberries contain antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that will keep a pup healthy while it’s growing. Nutro also included DHA which supports brain and eye development and is necessary for an overall health of puppies.
This is a grain-free small breed formula made to support higher energy demands of toy and small dogs. Since it is made from premium quality ingredients and doesn’t contain grains it is a suitable choice for Chihuahuas that suffer from allergies and stomach sensitivities.
The main ingredient is Deboned Turkey, followed by Turkey Meal and Chicken Meal. With 36% crude protein, this formula meets all needs of high energy Chihuahuas.
Potatoes and Peas are easy to digest and a good source of carbs for dogs that suffer from allergies. With 5% crude fiber, your dog won’t have stomach problems and will at the same time feel full longer.
Chicken fat is combined with Flaxseed and Salmon oil which contains omega fatty acids that support healthy skin and coat. Combined they create 15% crude fat, which is a main source of energy and will keep your pooch active through the day.
Broccoli, Carrots, Apples, and Blueberries are sources of vitamins and minerals that support the immune system and will keep your dog healthy. Chicory Root Extract is added because of its probiotic benefits and supports normal digestion.
Taste Of The Wild makes food so it reflects the ancestral diet of dogs which was rich in proteins and didn’t contain grains. Older Chihuahuas still need a protein-rich diet and lack of grains can minimize digestive problems.
The main ingredient Venison is combined with Lamb Meal and together they create 32% crude proteins. This count will provide energy for your senior dog and also keep his muscles and tissues in optimal health.
Garbanzo Beans, Peas, and Lentils are easily digestible carbs that will improve the bowel movements of your dog. With 4% crude fiber, your dog’s belly will be fuller for longer periods of time and his sugar levels will remain stable.
Canola oil is the main source of fat which also supports healthy skin and coat. This formula contains 18% crude fat that increases the calorie density of this food and provides enough energy.
Tomatoes, Blueberries, and Raspberries are natural antioxidants and full of vitamins and minerals that support a strong immune system. Dried Chicory Root is added for its probiotic properties to support gastrointestinal health and normal digestion.
Chihuahuas can develop dental problems that can make chewing hard kibble difficult so it good to know what kind of wet food can meet the needs of your dog. Hill’s Science Diet for small and toy breeds is made to support ideal weight and easy digestion.
The main protein source Beef is combined with Liver so this food will taste delicious to your pup. Together they create 29.8% crude protein on dry matter basis, which supports lean muscles.
Brown Rice and Rice create 1.9% crude fiber. These aren’t premium sources of carbs but won’t cause any problems to your dog if he isn’t suffering from grain allergies.
Chicken fat is the main source of fat and energy, and creates 20.9% crude fat. This is an optimal amount for high energy small breeds like Chihuahua and will keep your pooch active during the day.
All the necessary vitamins and minerals are supplemented in order to make this wet food complete and balanced for daily feeding. Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids are also included to support healthy skin and coat.
How to find the best dog food for Chihuahua?
All dogs are different and in order to find the right food for your pooch you need to consider his age, activity level, and health problems. Many owners don’t know what is the best dog food for Chihuahua, and we will tell you what to look for.
How many calories does Chihuahua needs?
Chihuahua is a high energy breed with a fast metabolism that burns through calories in no time. This means that your pooch will need a calorie dense food to fuel that tiny body properly.
– Puppies: An average Chihuahua puppy needs 55 calories per pound of body weight. However, this number can vary depending on the metabolism and activity of your pup.
– Adult: An adult Chihuahua needs roughly 40 calories per a pound of body weight. Remember that more active dogs will need more, and lazy pups will need fewer calories.
– Senior: As a Chihuahua gets older it isn’t as active as before and needs fewer calories in order to stay at ideal weight. In general 30-35 calories per pound of body weight is recommended for older dogs.
What to look for in food for Chihuahuas?
Chihuahuas have long lifespans and can live over 15 years and consequently develop some dietary related health problems. To keep your pooch healthy through his life see what the best dog food for Chihuahuas needs to contain.
– High protein count: Since Chihuahuas burn a lot of energy they thrive on food that has higher protein count. Look for foods that have a named meat like chicken, turkey, or venison as the main ingredient and a protein count over 25%.
– Complex carbohydrates: This breed is prone to hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar and with proper diet, you can prevent glucose levels from crashing. Look for foods that contain Sweet Potatoes or Brown Rice, which are complex carbohydrates and stay away from wheat gluten and corn syrup.
– Higher fat content: Although Chihuahuas can put on a few extra pounds they still need fat in their diet. Look for foods that have close to 20% crude fat to support your dog’s coat and skin and keep him energized through the day.
– Joint support: It may come as surprise, but this breed can develop joint problems that can be prevented with proper diet. Look for foods that contain Glucosamine or Chondroitin which support joints and mobility.
– Omega fatty acids: Chihuahuas can develop dry and flaky skin and hair loss. Flaxseed and fish oils are rich in omega 3 and 6 fatty acids that support healthy skin and coat.
How often to feed your Chihuahua?
To keep your dog energized whole day and keep his glucose levels in check you will have to design a special feeding regime for your pooch. Follow these guidelines to keep your dog’s stomach full during the entire day.
– Puppies under 3 months: It is recommended to leave the food at all times until Chihuahua puppies don’t turn three months.
– Puppies older than 3 months: Measure your puppy and divide his daily calorie intake into 3- to 4 meals equally spaced during the day.
– Dogs older than 6 months: At the 6-month mark reduce your dog’s meals to 2-3 during the day. Keep in mind the calorie requirements of your dog and not overfeed it.
– 1-year old adult dogs: Once your Chihuahua celebrates his first birthday, reduce his meals to 2 per day and continue feeding him like that for the rest of his life.
Chihuahua is a tiny dog that burns a lot of energy and requires calorie dense high-quality food. And while you will spend a little extra on the best dog food for Chihuahua, the good thing is that that bag of food will last a long time.
This is a breed that can live over 15 years so it is important to invest in proper diet from the young age in order to keep your dog healthy in his golden years. We recommend that you talk with your vet prior to making any changes in your dog’s diet.