Have you come home, only to discover that your dog has chewed through jet another bed? If so you aren’t alone. Chewing is a natural behavior for dogs and all pooches go through a gnawing phase.
Dogs have been known to chew through wood, brick and even metal, so finding a durable bed that can resist constant abuse can be tricky.
If your dog is an enthusiastic chewer, one of the best indestructible dog beds can offer a solution. These types of beds are made from more resilient materials and have fewer weak spots, preventing your dog to find a way in.
There are many models of indestructible dog beds in the market but some are more heavy-duty than others. So we will review 5 dog bite proof dog beds that should sustain your dog’s abuse and prevent you from spending more money on dog beds for some time.
Read More: Best Dog Beds 2019
Why it is better?
- Features a durable aluminum frame.
- Triple-stitched overlock seams.
- Chew proof ballistic ripstop fabric.
- Lightweight and portable.
- For indoor and outdoor use.
Reviews of the Best Indestructible Dog Beds
1. K9 Ballistics Durable Chew – Best chew proof dog bed
The K9 Ballistics Chew Resistant Raised Dog Bed is the best dog bed for chewers. However, it isn’t so resistant to scratching.
Has your dog’s destructive chewing gone so far that you are afraid that buying another dog bed will be a waste of money? We’ve been in the same situation and understand your worry.
While your apprehensions are real, the ballistic dog beds are specially made for dogs with a history of destructive chewing and can work as a Pitbull bed. If your dog is a gentle nibbler, the K9 ballistic heavy duty dog bed is more than you really need.
This bite proof dog bed features a strong aluminum frame, that resists chewing even from breeds with strong jaws. The ballistic ripstop fabric is made to prevent paws and teeth from making holes and tears in it. Which is a trait to look for in dog beds for Pitbulls.
Even though the K9 ballistic bed doesn’t look comfortable, it is designed in a way that supports a dog’s body and ensures rest. Due to its lightweight design, the canine ballistic bed is portable and a suitable option for Pitbull beds for indoor and outdoor use.
Read More: Best Luxury Dog Beds
- Made for destructive chewers.
- Lightweight and portable.
- Easy to clean.
- Can be placed in a crate.
- Some dogs made holes in the fabric.
- Not for dogs who scratch.
2. K9 Ballistics Tough Orthopedic Tuff – Ballistic dog bed
The K9 Ballistic Tough Orthopedic Tuff is a suitable option for light to moderate chewers. If you have a destructive chewer look for other tuff beds.
Have your previous efforts of finding a dog bedding chew proof backfired and you had to clean the ripped filling from his crate? Having your dog crated should have solved this type of problem, but your ingenious dog is still full of surprises.
Getting a bite proof dog bed that can be placed in a crate might be the end of your problems. The K9 ballistic tuff crate pad is intended for light and moderate chewers that are properly crate trained. However, if your dog is a destructive chewer this tuff bed won’t be able to sustain the abuse. Hence, you will find yourself shopping for a new chew proof crate pad in no time.
The K9 tuff dog bed is made from ripstop ballistic nylon cover that is scratch and bite resistant. The 5 inch-thick orthopedic mattress is made of dense support foam.
These tuff dog beds come in 5 different sizes and are suitable for older dogs with joint problems.
Read More: Best Orthopedic Dog Beds
- Good for light and moderate chewers.
- Orthopedic, for dogs with joint problems.
- Easy to clean.
- Waterproof liner.
- Not for aggressive chewers.
- Too firm for some dogs.
3. Orvis Toughchew Dog Bed – Anti chew dog bed
The Orvis Toughchew Dog Bed is a durable dog bed for moderate chewers who like to stretch. However, it may not be the greatest option for aggressive chewers.
Does your dog like to stretch out on his bed and gnaw on it when he is bored? If this is the case you aren’t alone, many dogs chew as a way of relieving boredom and stress.
If you already tried several regular dog beds without success it is time to look for a tougher product.
The tough dog beds are made from chew-resistant fabric that can also sustain intense scratching. Orvis tough chew dog bed has a platform design which makes it suitable for dogs who like to stretch out. On the other hand, if your dog likes to burrow and nest, this tough dog bed won’t be the best fit.
Featuring ripstop nylon base with bonded micro velvet top layer, this tough dog bed is puncture and tear resistant and soft at the same time. The zipper is made of solid brass and is bite proof.
The manufacturer is so sure that this is one of the toughest dog beds that they will give a full refund, no questions asked. This product comes in 5 sizes and can be used in a crate.
Read More: Best Washable Dog Beds
- Chew resistant.
- Can serve as a crate bed.
- Machine washable.
- Money back guarantee.
- Not for aggressive chewers.
- Some dogs ripped the zipper.
4. Dog Gone Smart Ninja Bed – Indestructible dog bed for crate
The Dog Gone Smart Ninja Bed can be used as indestructible crate pad for light and moderate chewers.
Are you struggling to find the right no chew dog bed to fit into your dog’s crate? Most dogs are able to tear through chew proof dog blankets that are there to make the kennel more comfortable.
If your pup has chewed through several indestructible dog pads and blankets you definitely need a more durable product.
The Ninja Dog Bed comes with a professional-grade chew and scratch resistant cover. However, this chew resistant dog bed isn’t the best option for aggressive chewers since some dogs managed to rip the cover.
This product features a hidden zipper, which allows you to remove the cover and wash it. The size and shape of the Ninja dog bed for chewers makes it suitable for kennels or outdoors.
As one of dog crate mats for chewers, this product is made of high-density foam that is beneficial for dogs who have joint problems.
- Can be used as a crate bed.
- For light and moderate chewers.
- Machine washable.
- High-density foam provides joint relief.
- Some dogs ripped the cover and stuffing.
- Not for aggressive chewers.
- One-time replacement policy.
5. KONG Chew Resistant Pillow Bed – Most durable dog bed for light chewers
The Kongo Chew Resistant Pillow Bed can be a suitable option if you are looking for a chew proof dog bed for a light chewer. If not, look for a more rip proof dog bed.
If your dog is into chewing things, you probably have a few Kongo chew toys, but did you know that they started to make dog beds for chewers? If not you actually haven’t missed much.
Despite being advertised as heavy duty dog beds, Kongo beds don’t perform well as other durable dog beds. However, if you are willing to give it a try, it is best to do so if your dog is a light chewer.
Unlike other durable dog beds, the Kongo features a polyester cover that isn’t going to stand chewing and clawing for long. Furthermore, this non chewable dog bed features a carrying handle that can entice some dogs to chew even more.
This anti chew dog bed also comes only in large size, which makes it unsuitable for smaller dogs. Generally, this indestructible dog bed works only for light chewers, otherwise, it can be a waste of money.
- Works for light chewers.
- Machine washable cover.
- Has a carrying handle.
- For large dogs.
- The material is easily ripped.
- The handle can be ripped off.
- Only one size available.
Criteria used for evaluation
Non chewable dog beds come in a variety of shape and sizes and are made from different materials that offer different levels of protection.
All chew proof dog beds have one thing in common, they are all made from more durable materials than regular dog beds. However, not all materials offer the same durability. Thus, if your dog is light to moderate chewer heavy duty nylon or canvas should suffice. However, if your dog is an aggressive chewer you should look for chew resistant dog beds that are made of PVC or solid vinyl.
If your dog is a particularly stubborn chewer you should look for an unchewable dog bed that doesn’t have any weak spots that can encourage more chewing.
Zippers, corners, and seams are the most enticing weak spots on a dog bed. The indestructible pet bed should have zippers that are hidden at the bottom of the bed. Furthermore, corners, edges and everything that sticks out will be too tempting for your dog to resist. Thus, look for beds with round corners and streamlined shapes that don’t offer your dog a chance to bite into anything. Dog beds for dogs that chew should have hidden seams that are sewn with kevlar.
As a dog owner, you know how dirty dogs can be and that they don’t really care how their chew proof dog house looks like.
But for you, seeing your dog sleeping on a clean dog bed opposed to a dirty one, makes all the difference in the world. Hence, you should look for a chew proof dog crate pad or a bed that is stain resistant. Furthermore, look for products with removable covers that are machine washable. This will make a huge difference in the long run and ensure that your indestructible crate pads and unchewable bed last longer.
Most bite proof dog beds are advertised as heavy duty, but some models are tougher than others.
Generally, if you are looking for a dog bed that can’t be chewed you need to look at durable and heavy duty products. If you have a heavy chewer look for beds that feature aluminum frames and extra durable material. In most cases, moderate and light chewers don’t require such strong materials and you don’t have to buy a bed that can sustain a shark attack. Remember that you know your dog the best, and if you feel that he needs a heavy-duty dog bed, you should definitely go for it.
What Are the Benefits of Indestructible Dog Beds?
If your dog has just ripped through one more bed in the sea of others, it is only natural to feel overwhelmed and a bit angry. The main benefit of having a bite proof dog bed is seeing your pooch try to chew it apart and fail.
In your situation, this is probably the only benefit you care about. However, having a chew proof dog bed has more advantages:
- Easy to clean: Chew resistant dog beds are made from fabrics that can be wiped down easily. Furthermore, many models have a removable cover that can be machine washed.
- Good for puppies: Chewing is a natural instinct for all dogs, but especially for puppies who are teething and exploring the world with their mouths. Your puppy won’t have difficulties chewing through a regular bed, but a durable bed will be a too big a bite to swallow.
- Less stress: If your dog is a heavy chewer you know how stressful it can be cleaning his mess. All that interior fill and bits of fabric laying everywhere can bring you to your wit’s end. But with a bite proof dog bed, there will be no more stress and cleaning.
- Suitable for large dogs: Some of these beds are designed to withstand heavier dogs. Since they are made from heavy-duty and durable materials they are less likely to sag or flat out like some regular beds. Hence, they offer better support and more comfort to larger dogs.
- Indoor/outdoor use: Some chewable dog beds are made of waterproof materials which makes them suitable for outdoor use as well. So, if you want, your dog can join you in the garden or on the porch and stay comfortable and at your side at the same time.
- Budget-friendly: You have probably replaced several beds up to this point due to your dog’s chewing habits. Getting a durable dog bed can solve your problems without breaking the bank.
How to Put A Stop to Destructive Chewing?
Even if you find the indestructible dog bed that will sustain your dog’s chewing, you should try to eliminate this destructive behavior altogether. This isn’t always easy, but it can be accomplished through a number of different strategies.
Some of the ways to stop your dog’s chewing include:
- Reduce your dog’s anxiety: Often dogs become destructive chewers as a way to cope with negative emotions, stress, and anxiety. You should give your dog more attention, get him to exercise more, and remove a stressful stimulus from his environment.
- If your efforts aren’t bearing fruit, consider taking your dog to a canine therapist, or check with your vet if your dog can benefit from anti-anxiety meds.
- Use deterrents: If your dog is particularly stubborn and can’t stop chewing on everything no matter what you do, you should try bitter anti-chew sprays. Make sure that the product you choose is made from natural ingredients that can’t in any way harm your dog.
- Provide more chew toys: Since most dogs like to chew, you will have to give your pooch an appropriate and safe toy to occupy his attention. Otherwise, he will find something else to chew on. However, you shouldn’t get the first toy you see, instead find one that will be fun for your dog and durable enough.
Puppies and young dogs tend to chew on objects because of teething or as a way of exploring or playing. However, older dogs tear up their beds because they are anxious, stressed out, or bored. Before you start looking at dog beds that can’t be chewed up you should try to figure out the reason for this behavior.
First of all, you should identify the cause behind this behavior. If you can’t figure out why your dog is behaving this way, seek professional help. Generally, try to walk your dog more, give him plenty of chew toys, and play regularly with him to stop him from chewing. It is important to rotate the toys regularly to keep your dog interested and stimulated.
Dogs that suffer from separation anxiety will chew on their beds and other objects when their owners aren’t around. If a dog’s chewing and digging, are caused by separation anxiety, they don’t usually occur when the owner is around. Be aware that even the most durable dog bed won’t stand a chance if your dog has separation anxiety.
The best indestructible dog beds can be a real lifesaver for those stubborn chewers or diggers and larger breeds. They will help you save money and spare you from stress that comes with constant cleaning. If you get one for your puppy from the start, it can even help you deter your dog from this destructive behavior for the rest of his life.