You might not realize that you need a dog bike trailer until you decide to take your dog for a ride and he quits after one block. And while you are just getting started you pooch is panting and unable to take one more step.
If you really like to cycle and would like to share this experience with your dog, then getting a trailer might be the right thing to do. However, not all doggy trailers are made equally and this isn’t an investment that should be taken lightly.
The Best Choice Products 2-in-1 Pet Stroller and Trailer provides the best value for your money. It features a sturdy but lightweight steel frame that is covered with light but water resistant material. This trailer also sports a third wheel which gives extra balance and makes turning much easier. The greatest feature of this product is that it can serve as a trailer and a stroller and is suitable for cycling and walking.
However, if you are looking for fewer bells and whistles the DoggyRide Mini Bike Trailer might just be the right thing. This trailer is easy to fold down and sports interior leashes and hooks for extra safety. The rear door entry ensures for an easy access and includes a pouch and water bottle pocket.
The Aosom Elite Pet Bike Trailer is a well-built and heavy-duty model that comes at a cheap price. It features safety flags and an interior leash hook that will keep your dog protected on the road.
The Aosom Elite Pet Trailer features a collapsible design and a stainless-steel frame. The outer shell is made of polyester that has several mesh panels.
The meshed windows are placed on both sides allowing for the maximum airflow and airy interior. The back door is covered with a durable clear plastic screen that protects from the rain.
This trailer has a dual entry, back and front door allows you for an easy access. Thanks to the hitch it will be very easy to attach or reattach the trailer onto your bike.
For extra security, Aosom included an inside leash hook that will secure your dog and enable him to escape or topple the trailer. Furthermore, safety flags are present and will make you clearly visible to vehicles and other cyclists.
Other dog owners state that this trailer is very easy to assemble and that its lightweight design makes it easy to pull. Furthermore, it’s durable and suitable for long cycling trips. On the other hand, some owners state that their dogs ripped through mesh windows within minutes.
- Collapsible and easy to store.
- Comfortable for a dog to ride in.
- Features two doors.
- Comes with safety flags.
- Mesh windows aren’t strong enough.
- Can tip during speedy turns.
The Solvit HoundAbout Trailer is completely foldable and easy to store when you aren’t on the road with your pup. This trailer features a metal frame and 600d polyester shell. This trailer is suitable for larger dogs and can easily fit pups that weight up to 110 pounds.
The tires are pre-filled and you don’t have to waste time filling them and searching for a pump. Furthermore, Solvit HoundAbout trailer also sports waterproof flexible floorboard that will keep your dog comfortable and dry while he travels.
This large dog trailer sports two doors. The front door is covered with a sheer plastic and mesh screen layer that will protect your dog from rain and wind. The rear door is covered only with a mesh screen. One more great feature is a sunroof that can be opened if you want to let your dog peek his head out.
The interior of the cabin and plastic covers can be cleaned with a damp cloth. However, the interior cushion can be removed and cleaned in a washing machine.
According to reviews, this bike trailer is very easy to assemble and it is made of heavy-duty and sturdy materials. However, some owners state that the floorboard isn’t sturdy enough and it is made of slippery materials.
- Made for large dogs up to 110 lbs.
- Features front and back door.
- It has a sunroof.
- The interior is easy to clean.
- The floorboard is slippery.
- Zippers can malfunction.
The Burley Tail Wagon is a heavy-duty dog biking trailer and its higher price is indicative of its quality. However, the cost of this trailer is well worth it since it is extra balanced minimizing accidents during turning.
This trailer is enclosed in mesh and features four windows for maximum air flow that give your dog better visibility. The floor is completely removable and very easy to clean.
The side battens are included for extra stability and a smoother ride. The Burley Wagon also sports reflectors that will make you and your dog visible during the night.
This trailer is made to withhold dogs that weight up to 75 pounds and interior is comfortable and spacious. Furthermore, the leash hooks are included to keep your dog safely tucked during the ride.
Most owners love that this trailer is so sturdy and easy to assemble. Furthermore, they state that back door allows for easy loading and four windows make the trailer properly ventilated. Some owners recommend getting a kickstand since the trailer will pull on the bike and topple repeatedly.
- Side battens ensure extra stability.
- Airy and spacious interior.
- Easy to fold and store.
- Reflectors ensure visibility.
- Doesn’t have a kickstand.
- The hitch doesn’t work on all bikes.
Schwinn Rascal Bike Trailer can be a great option if you are looking for a lightweight and portable buggy. Due to its orange color the trailer is easily visible and also sports safety flags.
The Schwinn Rascal Pet bike trailer sports a steel frame, aluminum rim, and air-filled tires. This buggy is suitable for dogs that weigh up to 50 pounds and ensures a comfortable ride.
The great thing about Schwinn Rascal trailer is that it comes with a universal coupler that works on any bike. Thus, even if you have a non-standard bike you won’t have to worry about being unable to attach the trailer.
This model comes in orange and black color which improves visibility and a safety flag is also included. The door is situated on the back and made in a way that dogs can simply jump in.
The interior leash will keep your dog hooked and secured preventing him to jump from the trailer during the ride. This lightweight trailer weighs 26 pounds and it is easy to tow and store.
You also have an option to carry up to 12 pounds of gear or supplies on top of the trailer or inside with a small or medium-sized dog. This trailer is also easy to clean and the entire outer liner is machine washable.
According to reviews dog owners love how sturdy and spacious this trailer is. They are also very pleased with a rear entry that allows dogs to jump in instead of being carried and loaded inside. However, some owners find that the fabric is too thin and state that their dogs easily ripped through it.
- Lightweight and portable.
- Color and flags improve visibility.
- Back entry allows for an easy access.
- Machine washable.
- The fabric is too thin.
- Can flip over during turns.
The DoggyRide Mini Dog Bike Trailer has a powdered steel frame that is covered with durable deriel nylon. The sturdy UV resilient mesh covers the front of the trailer and side windows.
Besides protecting your pup from the harsh sun, the trailer also has a plastic cover on the front to protect him from the rain. The Mini Bike trailer comes with a hitch, towbar, safety flag, and a pouch on the rear entry door.
The great feature is that the front screens can be opened to provide your dog with an ultimate view. Furthermore, this model also has a sunroof that can be opened to let your dog get his head out.
The Mini Doggy Trailer can house dogs weighing up to 55 pounds and up to 15 in shoulder height. This trailer is easy to fold and store, and its lightweight design makes it great for a ride around the neighborhood.
Both owners and dog like the sunroof and pooches enjoy feeling the breeze. Furthermore, the interior is roomy and the trailer sturdy and ensures a safe ride. Unfortunately, this trailer doesn’t come with a cushion and the mini size is really small so double check your dog’s measurements.
- Made for small dogs.
- UV resilient mesh.
- Airy and roomy interior.
- Easy to set up and fold.
- Doesn’t have a cushion.
The PetSafe Solvit HoundAbout dog bike trailer is constructed of a steel frame that is covered with polyester. This doggy buggy features a front and back door for easy access and is made for dogs up to 50 pounds.
The front door is covered with a waterproof screen and mesh, and the rear door has only a mesh screen. This model also has a sunroof that allows dogs to hold their heads up and feel the breeze.
Two 16 inch tires are pre-filled with air and the whole trailer is easy to set up and fold for storage. To make the ride more enjoyable, Solvit included a washable cushion that will make your dog comfortable.
To ensure that your dog won’t leap out in the middle of the ride, this trailer is equipped with an adjustable safety leash. Furthermore, the reflectors on the cabin and both wheels make the trailer clearly visible to other cyclists and vehicles.
Most customers love the durability and the fact that this trailer is super easy to tow. They also liked the waterproof floorboard and the fact that it is very easy to clean. Still, some owners have troubles assembling this trailer and some state that it can tip easily.
- Back and front doors for easy access.
- Reflectors on wheels and the cabin.
- Adjustable safe leash.
- Washable cushion for comfort.
- Can be difficult to assemble.
- Can be delivered missing parts.
The Best Choice Products 2-in-1 Pet Stroller and Trailer is an option if you are looking for a versatile product. It’s a great thing to have an alternative if you aren’t up for a ride and take your pup for a stroll.
The Best Choice Product 2-in-1 dog trailer has a sturdy steel frame that is covered with water-resistant polyester. The great thing about this trailer is that it can be converted into a stroller when you aren’t in a mood to tow your pup.
This product features dual doors for easy exit and entry and plenty of windows to keep the inside airy. A removable cushion is also included to keep your dog comfortable during a ride or a stroll.
The Best Choice Products also included a built-in hand lock to ensure that the trailer stays in place. Furthermore, safety flag and reflectors will ensure that the stroller is visible in traffic and low light conditions.
This stroller comes with a third wheel and a hatch that is easy to attach to a bike. Built to fit dogs up to 66 pounds this trailer is spacious inside and will ensure that your dog has a great time.
Most owners like that the Best Choice 2-in-1 Trailer gives them versatility. Due to numerous reflectors and safety flags, customers feel safe towing their dogs in this trailer. However, some owners didn’t like the fact that this trailer doesn’t have a place to attach the leash.
- Stroller and trailer in one.
- Built-in hand lock.
- Removable cushion.
- Airy and spacious.
- No safety leash.
- Can be hard to assemble.
What To Look For In The Best Dog Bike Trailer?
The quality of available dog bike trailers ranges quite a bit. Thus it is important to know what to look for so you won’t end up stranded in the middle of nowhere with your dog. And there is no point in wasting money if you will end up listing your dog bike trailer Craigslist after a couple of rides. This is a list of things you should look for:
- Size: Make sure to measure your dog carefully before buying a dog bike trailer. Also, check the weight limit to make sure your dog can safely ride in the buggy.
- The Connection Wire or Hitch: Look for a product that is easy to hook up to a bike. Additionally, look for a secondary strap that will prevent the trailer from rolling if the primary one fails.
- Construction: Sturdy and well-made trailers will last longer and at the same time keep your dog safe. Thus, look for air-filled wheels, steel frame, and high-quality connectors.
- Storage: Even if you take your dog for a ride every day, you will need a place to store a trailer when you aren’t using it. Look for foldable doggy buggies that are easy to put away and won’t take up too much space.
- Entry: Depending on the model, different trailers have different points of entry. Some have doors on the front, while others have more door options. Look for a model that has an easily accessible entry.
- Kick-stands: It is nice to have a support when you need to unhitch the trailer. Some trailers come with a kickstand and some don’t, so check to make sure.
- Pockets: Some trailers are equipped with exterior pockets that make it easy to carry additional supplies. If you think that you need extra space, check if your desired model has pockets.
Safety Features To Look For In A Dog Trailer
Pulling a dog trailer behind your bike has some safety risks. Thus, it is important to select a bike trailer that has all the necessary safety features. Furthermore, if you decide to get a used dog bike trailer make sure that it comes with all these traits:
- Safety flags: Flags are a great way to improve your visibility during a day. They are usually mounted on long poles and make the trailer clearly visible to other cyclists and vehicles.
- Reflectors: Some trailers are equipped with reflectors on the wheels and cabin and make the trailer more visible during low light. This should be a mandatory feature if you plan to cycle with your dog in the dark or poor weather conditions.
- Interior leash: Keeping your dog safely secured to the trailer is a must every time you take him for a ride. Additionally, it will prevent him from moving inside the trailer or jumping and running off.
- Brakes: You’ll want a trailer that will stay in place while you are loading and unloading your dog from it. Hence, you should look for trailers that have a built-in parking brake.
- Safety Straps: Are usually a part of the hitch mechanism and will serve as a backup tether that will keep the trailer secured to a bike. Make sure that this feature is present in a case a primary hitch fails.
Cycling is a great way you can spend some quality time with your dog outdoors. This is a great way for you both to get exercise and stay in shape. However, not all dogs are great runners and some don’t have the stamina to run long distances after a bike. Furthermore, older and sick dogs are in no way capable of enduring such a high-intensity activity.
If you love cycling and hate leaving your dog behind you should consider getting the best dog bike trailer. This way your pooch will be able to join you and spend some quality time outdoors. Furthermore, older and sick dogs can benefit from spending time on fresh air and participating in the adventure can do wonders for their spirit.