In most cases, dog parents overlook their dog’s ears during the regular grooming routine. Still, proper ear care needs to be incorporated into your dog’s regular sprucing up.
Lack of ear care can lead to wax and dirt buildup hence making your dogs susceptible to catch an ear infection. This is a painful condition that causes discomfort and can lead to deafness.
The easiest way to keep your pooch healthy and his ears clean is to incorporate ear grooming into your regular routine. Still, once you start you can’t clean your dog’s ears with just anything, hence opt for products that are designed for dogs.
With the best dog ear cleaner, you will keep your dog’s ears clean, thus lowering the development of an ear infection. These products are designed to serve as a preventive care and keep the ears of your four-legged companion healthy.
Top 5 Best Dog Ear Cleaners
1. Vet’s Best Ear Relief Wash – Best ear Cleaner For Dogs
- Brand Name: Pupkiss Pets
- Best For: Cleans and soothes raw and itchy ears
- Use Age: As needed
- Natural Ingredients: Yes
- Size: 4 oz
Vet’s Best designed a natural ear cleaning product that is a perfect solution for owners that don’t want to expose their pet to harsh chemicals. This cleaning solution is great for cleaning and furthermore, it will soothe itchy ears.
This product contains Witch Hazel, Chamomile, Yucca, Tea Tree Oils, and Echinacea. All of them have soothing abilities and will calm raw and inflamed ear.
Furthermore, this ear cleaner is great for an unpleasant ear odor, that can be caused by an ear infection or just normal smell of your dog’s ears. And although this ear cleaner has a strong smell for some people, all of them agree that their dog’s ears now smell great.
Besides treating ear infections and foul odor, this product is great for greasy ears that are full of wax. Once your dog’s ears are clean there would be no more itching and constant ear flapping and head shaking.
Since Vet’s Best Relief Wash is made from natural ingredients, it can be used as much as you need it, even once a day for ear infections. This product is also great for dogs who have environmental allergies because it removes all the pollens and dirt.
You can use these drops both for deep ear cleaning or just to keep the outer ear part grease and dirt free. Overall this is a great product at an affordable price, and most importantly made without alcohol and harsh chemicals.
- Soothes and cleanses
- For foul smelling ears
- Removes wax, debris and stops itching
- The smell is too strong
- Some dogs were scared
2. Zymox – Ear Cleaner With Bio-Active Enzymes
- Brand Name: Pet King Brands
- Best For: Gentle cleaning of dirty and smelly ears
- Use Age: 1 to 2 times a week
- Natural Ingredients: Yes
- Size: 4 oz
This is a mild and non-toxic ear cleaner that contains natural ingredients and is a great product for keeping the ears clean. If your dog already has an ear infection you can combine this product with Zymox Otic with Hydrocortisone.
Zymox Ear Cleanser contains Lacoperoxidase, Lactoferrin, and Lysozyme, which have bio-active properties for microbe control. They make this product perfect if you want to prevent the occurrence of ear infections.
Furthermore, this product reduces redness, foul odor, ear discharge, inflammation, and itching. Using this product regularly will make your dog’s ear clean and smelling nice.
Since it has a microbial function, this ear cleaner is great for dogs that have occasional problems with ear infections. It is gentle and soothing which makes it perfect for regular maintenance and healthy ears.
Made without harsh chemicals or cleaners it can be both used for deep ear cleaning. You just need to drip a few drops into the ear and massage the bottom of the ear.
If your pooch doesn’t need deep ear cleaning you can apply it to a cotton ball and wipe the outer part of the ear. On the other hand, if your dog is showing the signs of infection this product isn’t strong enough, so talk with your vet in order to find the right treatment.
- Microbial function
- Non-toxic natural ingredients
- For clean and nice smelling ears
- Prevents ear infection
- Don’t have a long-lasting effect
- Can cause itchy ears
3. Virbac – Epi-Otic Advanced Ear Cleaner
- Brand Name: Virbac
- Best For: Yeas infection, wax buildup, and foul smell
- Use Age: 2 to 3 times a week
- Natural Ingredients: No
- Size: 8 oz
Virbac is a well-known pet brand that is often recommended by vets. Their Advanced Ear Cleaner is safe for daily use, clean and deodorized ears.
This product doesn’t contain any harsh chemicals or alcohol which makes it safe for dogs, and won’t cause irritations. It is also fast drying and discourages moist environment, which means that you won’t have to additionally remove it from ears.
The difference between advanced and regular Virbac ear cleaner is that this one contains 0.2% salicylic acid. It has adhesive properties that fight off bacteria from getting in the skin and is also an anti-irritant.
Regular use of this liquid cleaner will neutralize foul ear odor, clean, prevent bacterias from entering, and will remove all the wax. Moreover, this ear cleaner is pH neutral which means that he is gentle and safe for frequent use.
Because of its soothing properties, this cleanser is appropriate for dogs with sensitive skin, and a great reliever when it comes to itching.
This product provides preventive care when used properly since it isn’t strong enough to fight ear infections. Still, vets recommend using this product before applying any medication or other ear treatment.
- Safe for daily use
- Neutralizes ear odor
- Discourages a moist environment
- Safe for sensitive skin
- Removes the wax and dirt
- Can cause an allergic reaction
4. Pet MD – Dog Ear Cleaner Wipes
- Brand Name: Pet MD
- Best For: Reduce foul odor and prevents ear infection
- Use Age: As needed
- Natural Ingredients: Yes
- Size: 100 soft wipes
For all owners who don’t need to do a deep clean, Pet MD created dog ear cleaner wipes. These are easy to use and will last you long since one jar contains 100 moist wipes.
This is the U.S made product that doesn’t contain harsh chemicals or alcohol hence it is suitable for daily use. These wipes will clean your dog’s ears, and at the same time moisturize and deodorize them.
Pet MD Ear Cleaner Wipes are made with natural ingredients like aloe vera, and eucalyptus oil that will soothe and moisturize the skin. If used regularly this product will minimize the chances of an ear infection and will keep your pooch healthy.
These wipes are easy to use and perfect to keep the outer part of the ear clean and grease free. Since it contains eucalyptus, this product will remove any foul ear odor and make the ears smelling great.
Although you can use these wipes daily, it is recommended to use them twice a week for the best results. They are so gentle and non-irritant that they can be used on puppies older than 12 weeks.
The only downside of this product is that it can’t be used for deep clean. No matter how diligently you clean the outer part of the ear, wax and debris can still be present in the inner part. For optimal results, we advise you to use this product combined with ear cleaner drops.
- Easy to use
- Moisturize and cleanse
- Natural ingredients
- Can be used regularly
- Pads are too small and thin
- Can’t clean the inside of the ear
5. Eco Ears – Dog Ear Cleaner Infection Formula
- Brand Name: Vet Organics
- Best For: Ear infections, dirt, smell, wax buildup
- Use Age: As needed
- Natural Ingredients: Yes
- Size: 8 oz
This is the U.S made product that contains natural ingredients that are carefully chosen to clear infections and keep the ear clean. It is made without any medication, harmful chemicals, steroids, or alcohol.
Vet Organic created a completely natural product for all owners who don’t want to expose their dogs to toxins and chemicals. The great tin about Eco Ears is that is two in one product, thus it treats and prevents ear infections.
Natural ingredients like mullein leaf extract, tea tree oil, and rosemary are included because they are anti-inflammatory and great dirt cleansers. To remove wax, dirt and keep your dog’s ear clean use this product at least once a week.
If your dog is already affected by an ear infection use this product twice a day for 7 to 10 days. Usually, after 2 to 3 days you will see the improvement, and redness and itchiness will be gone.
Once the infection is gone, continue to use this product to prevent the recurrence of the problem. Furthermore, use this product after your dog’s swimming activities in order to clean the ear and remove all the moist.
Eco Ears is a great cleaner that will remove all the dirt and wax and at the same time neutralize foul odor hence making the ears nice smelling. If you aren’t satisfied with this product you have one year guarantee to get your money back.
- All natural
- Prevents and treats an ear infection
- Neutralizes the bad smell
- Soothe and relieves itching
- Removes wax and dirt
- Didn’t work for some dogs
- Not for sensitive ears
How To Find The Best Dog Ear Cleaner?
There is a variety of different ear cleaning products on the market today and in order to find the right one consider your needs. There are all-in-one ear cleaners and others that are more targeted, for bacteria, yeast, or parasites. If your pooch didn’t have ear problems, we suggest that you go with all-in-one cleaner as a preventive solution.
Dog ear cleaner is a special product that helps dog owners to keep their dog’s ears clean and get rid of acute and chronic ear infections. This means that these products have a dual function, they offer preventative care and have healing abilities.
Some breeds are more prone to develop ear problems, but all dogs can have dirty ears and wax buildup. Since you don’t need a vet prescription for an ear cleaner, it is easy to buy and an essential product for every groomer’s kit.
Currently, you can find two types of dog ear cleaning products. Each of them comes with some pros and cons. In the end, it is up to you to chose which type works best for you and your pooch.
– Ear drops: Liquid ear cleaners work best for cleaning the innermost parts of the external ear. Since dogs ear is made of many nooks and crannies these products are best for deep cleaning, and the removal of dirt and wax.
They are fairly easy to use since you just have to install a few drops into your dog’s ear, leave it for a few seconds and then massage the base of the ear. This will distribute the drops throughout the inner surfaces and loosen dirt and ear wax.
The downside of this product is that your pooch will shake its head to remove any excess fluid from his ear. This can create quite a mess, and the excess fluid and dirt must be cleaned from the ear.
– Ear wipes:These products are made from a soft cotton and are great for cleaning the inner parts of the external ear. Ear wipes are super easy to use and moist enough to remove all the dirt and debris.
The downside is that they can clean only the outermost portions of the external ear, and won’t clean wax buildup that is deeper down. You should also be careful in not trying to do so since you can only push the dirt further down.
Both of these products are efficient and will keep your dog’s ears clean. Still, we recommend ear drops for dogs that are prone to ear infections and need deep clean. Ear wipes are great prevention for everyday use and dogs that don’t have ear problems.
Proper ear care is important for all dogs and plays a big roll in keeping your pooch happy and healthy. All ear problems are easily avoided with regular cleaning and best cleaning products. Don’t avoid cleaning your dog’s ears since he can develop some of the following conditions:
– Airborne ear allergies: Every time your dog ventures outside he can pick airborne allergens like dust and pollen. While there are special medications for allergies, with a simple ear cleaning and bath you can limit your pet’s exposure.
– Bacterial infections: Because of the special design dog’s ears are the perfect places for bacteria to thrive. Bacterial ear infections are usually treated with antibiotics, but this is easily avoidable with regular ear cleaning. Furthermore, there are enzymatic and antimicrobial cleaning products that work great as preventative measures.
– Yeast infection: These are also known as fungal infections and are tougher then bacteria and take longer to heal. Usually they are more common in dogs with floppy ears and dogs that like to swim a lot. In this case, it is best to clean the ear with a solution that has antifungal properties.
– Ear mites: These parasites are commonly seen in cats, but can migrate on dogs and cause great discomfort. The good thing is that with ear drops you can lessen the amount of these mites in the ears. You could also go with liquid ear drops that have antiparasitic properties and are even better for this type of problem.
– Ear obstruction: Can be caused by the accumulation of dirt, debris, plants, or smaller particles getting lodged in your dog’s ear. This can impair your pets ability to hear and is easily prevented with regular ear cleaning.
All dogs need their ears cleaned, but the amount of cleaning depends on your unique situation. Dogs generally don’t like their ears being cleaned, since the drops tickle the inside of their ear. With that being said, you may need an extra pair of hands to keep your dog steady while you apply the drops.
– Dogs that are prone to ear infection, have floppy ears, or like swimming need, their ears cleaned once a week. For dogs that like water it is best to clean the ears after every dip.
– Pooches that don’t have ear problems, can have their ears cleaned once a month. On the other hand, you should inspect them once a week. If you notice dirt or wax buildup clean them and start cleaning them more often.
– If you have a dog that has hairs growing from his ears, you will have to trim If left to grow, they can mat and become packed with wax and dirt.
– During an ear infection, follow your vet’s instructions about how often to clean your dog’s ears. Depending on the type of infection some dogs might need daily ear cleaning.
To help you find the best product that will keep your dog’s ears clean and healthy, we reviewed 5 great ear cleaners. Still, we advise you to talk with your vet before you by any product, since he will know what will work best for your pooch.
Keeping your dog’s ears clean isn’t hard when you have the best dog ear cleaner that removes wax, dirt, bacteria, and moist. There is a variety of products and some of them can offer both preventive care and treatments for ear infections.
Taking care of your dog’s ears is an important part of dog grooming and plays a big part in your pooch’s overall health. Remember that ear infection is painful, uncomfortable, and can cause hearing loss, and that are things you don’t want for your dog. All of the product we reviewed are efficient, easy to use, and if applied right will prevent the development of an ear infections.