Buying dog food in bulk is a great way to save money. However, if not stored properly, dog kibble can become contaminated and your money will go to waste. That’s where the best dog food container comes in handy.
Properly stored, the kibble will retain all the essential nutrients and at the same time stay fresh and tasty. However, there is a lot of storage options available and finding the right one can be overwhelming. Thus, we selected products that can meet your needs while at home or traveling with your pooch.
Below, you will find ten dog food containers that will keep the bulk of your dog’s food fresh and won’t disrupt the design of your home.
Picking the Best Dog Food Container
You may be wondering how badly do you need a container for dog food when keeping it in a bag worked so far. But did it really? Dog foods that are exposed to heat or cold lose essential nutrients and minerals.
Therefore, your dog isn’t really getting all the nutrients he needs to thrive and stay healthy. Basically, picking the best dog food container will depend on the type of food you buy and the size of your dog.
Even though there is a lot of good dog food storage options available, IRIS Airtight Dog Food Container Combo Kit provides the best value. This container comes with one large and one small container that are fitted on four casters. The larger one can be used for food storing at home, while the smaller one holds up to 10lb of kibble and is perfect for travel.
If you are looking for something sleek and elegant the SimpleHuman pet storage can might work. Made of stainless-steel this container can store 30 lb of kibble and is easy to move thanks to hidden wheels. The lid is airtight due to magnetic lock. Furthermore, the interior bucket is easy to wash and made of BPA free materials.
The IRIS Airtight Pet Food Container Combo Kit is our top pick for the versatility it offers. Two different size containers are great for multi-pet homes or travel. Furthermore, four wheels will keep the strain off your back and get the containers moving wherever you like.
If you are looking for versatility then look no further than the IRIS two-piece dog food storage container. This container is BPA free and made of FDA compliant materials. Thus, you don’t have to worry about harmful chemicals leaching into your dog’s food.
This product consists of one large dog food container that can hold up to 25 pounds of dog food. Additionally, IRIS incorporated a smaller container that can hold up to 10 pounds of kibble. Therefore, you can fit the smaller one on top of the larger container or use it for storage when you are traveling with your pooch.
Furthermore, this container is fitted on four wheels and easy to move around and comes with measuring scoop. Thus, you won’t have to pull your back while lifting up 35 pounds of dog food. One more nice feature is a see-through plastic that will enable you to see how much kibble is left without opening the lid.
- Easy to move.
- Seals in the food smell.
- Two containers in one.
- See-through design.
- Not very sturdy.
- The plastic has a strong smell.
The 40lb dog food container by Vittles Vaults is made of durable plastic that last a long time. This stackable container is a great solution for multi-pet homes that lack the space for storing dog food.
With a twist of a lid, it becomes a dog food container airtight and perfect for keeping the kibble fresh and safe from pests. Due to its design, you can easily stock a few of these containers one on top of the other.
Besides this size, you can choose from 25 lb, 50lb dog food container, and 60 lb containers that will keep the bulk of your dog’s food fresh. These also have molded handles that make them easy to move and store in small spaces.
- Durable materials
- For multi-pet homes.
- Easily stored in small spaces.
- The lid can malfunction.
If you aren’t a big fan of plastic consider getting this 30lb dog food container by SimpleHuman. This product features removable plastic bin that is easy to wash and wheels that will make moving kibble so much easier.
Due to the magnetic lid, this container locks shut keeping the food airtight and fresh for longer time. This metal dog food container has a sleek design and won’t disrupt the decor in your home wherever you decide to place it.
The inner bucket is made of BPA-free materials that won’t compromise the health of your pooch. Even the bulk of kibble will be safe in this large dog food storage container. And there is no way for your dog to snoop around it and open the lid before meal times.
This product comes in various sizes, including 25lb, 30lb, and 40lb capacities to suit your unique storage needs.
- Sleek metal design.
- Washable interior.
- Locks kibble in tight.
- Can be damaged during delivery.
If you like traveling with your dog then you will need the best dog food storage container for snacks on the road. The Vittles Vault Gamma TRAVEL-tainer comes in pink and blue color and also includes food and water bowl.
This product is made of human grade plastic and water and food bowls are machine washable. However, the container itself needs to be washed by hand. The airtight seal on this dog food travel container will lock in the smells and prevent spillage.
Each bowl can hold 3 cups of food or water which means that you can use this product while hiking or visiting friends with your pooch. The entire container has a compact design and features a good sized and durable handle that is easy to grip.
- Easy to pack and carry.
- Contains food and water bowls.
- Airtight seal prevents spillage.
- Melts in high heat.
Paw Prints offers a fashionable solution to storing dog kibble. Their cute dog food container comes in two designs and stores up to 26lb of food.
If you aren’t a fan of doggy bones design you can opt for a word themed variant that gives this dog food container decorative feel. This kibble storage resembles a wastebasket and it is easily fitted alongside a wall.
The airtight lid preserves the food from environmental factors and hidden casters make it easily movable from one place to another. This product also comes with a measuring scoop that fits 1 cup of food.
The scoop easily locks into place underneath the lid and is a great feature if you have a chubby dog that is on a diet. This dry dog food container is made of BPA free plastic and doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals.
- Decorative design.
- Tight seal keeps to odor locked.
- Sturdy and easy to move.
- Can be damaged during delivery.
If you are struggling to keep large amounts of dog food in one place IRIS Airtight Food Storage Container might be a solution. This product comes in five different sizes and will easily house large kibble bags. Furthermore, it has removable wheels so it can be moved around or stacked on something else.
The IRIS Airtight Food Storage Container comes in five different sizes to suit the individual needs of dog owners. This particular product can house 54 pounds and is a great solution if you are looking for a dog food container 50lb or larger.
The airtight lid seals with snap-tight latches and will keep the kibble fresh and the smells locked in. Materials used are free of harmful chemicals and don’t contain BPA. Hence, you don’t have to worry about exposing your dog to any potential dangers.
The translucent body is the feature that makes this container so appealing. It gives you a chance to see how much food is left without opening the lid. This is especially beneficial for multi-pet owners who can’t track how much food their pooches are eating.
You won’t have any troubles moving the bulk of your dog’s food since this container has caster wheels. The wheels can be removed giving you an option to stack the container on something else in your pantry.
The simple design and durable material make this storage container one of the most convenient options available. It is also easily washed, and you can also store the whole bag of kibble inside it.
- Variety of different sizes.
- Locks all pests out of food.
- The whole bag of food easily fits in.
- The latch is flimsy.
- The seal isn’t completely airtight.
The Vittles Vaults Stackable sports a twist cap and easy access to dog food. This is a heavy-duty container that doesn’t have wheels and might be a problem to move around when it’s full. However, it locks in the kibble smell and dogs can’t find a way to open it no matter how much they tried.
Vittles Vault dog food containers are famous for their stocky design and durability. Thus, if you aren’t so concerned about the looks of the storage container but its sturdiness you may like this product.
This dog food container 50lbs housing comes with an airtight lid and offers ample space to store your dog’s kibble. Besides this size, the brand also makes 5lb, 30lb, and 80lb stackable dog food container. Thus, there is plenty of options to choose from to suit your individual needs.
Made of FDA approved materials this product has a conveniently placed lid that will give you easy access to your dog’s food. This stackable container comes with a twist cap which keeps the kibble secured even from mischievous dogs.
The two built-in handles make this container easy to move, but it, unfortunately, comes without wheels. With its heavy-duty design and airtight seal, this container can easily be stored outside or in the pantry where it will be out of the way.
- Heavy-duty and sturdy design.
- Twist cap keeps the food sealed.
- Can hold the whole bag of food.
- Rodents can chew through the plastic.
- The seal doesn’t always work.
The Buddeez Dispenser is a bit different from the rest of the product from our list and rather unique in its design. This is a pitcher looking food container that allows you to pour your dog’s kibble straight from the bag.
Although this product is BPA free and FDA approved, this feature can come in handy if you don’t want your dog’s food being in contact with plastic. And the food retains freshness longer since it isn’t removed from the original packaging.
By simply turning the lid and holding the container by the handle, you can dispense your dog’s food straight to the bowl. Therefore, there is no need to place your hand to the elbow scooping the last remaining kibble from the container.
The 8-gallon storage dispenser can hold up to 22 lb bags of dog food and keep all the smells locked in. However, if you have a problem lifting heavy things this dispenser may not be the best product for you. Furthermore, it doesn’t have wheels so you will have to carry it every time.
- Neat way to dispense and keep kibble.
- Durable design.
- Food doesn’t touch plastic.
- Has to be picked up.
- The lid can malfunction.
The Paw Prints tin dog food container can store up to 15lb of kibble in a stylish way. This product is completely BPA free and comes with a cute letter design that will brighten your kitchen.
The tin has a tight-fitting lid that will seal all smells and keep the kibble fresh and tasty for a long time. Since it comes in only one size of 15 lbs, this product is best suited for owners with small dogs who don’t eat a lot.
You won’t have any troubles moving this container thanks to the two metal side handles. Furthermore, the tin container is very easy to wash, and you won’t have any issues keeping it spotlessly clean.
If you are in love with the design, you can easily use this tin to store dog treats if it’s too small to house your dog’s food. Furthermore, there is no way for your dog to break into his food storage, and the tight lid prevents any pest from entering as well.
- Stylish and sturdy.
- Can be used as a treat container.
- Easy to open.
- Alternative for plastic containers.
- Can’t fit large bags of food.
- Only one size.
If you are in pursuit of a heavy-duty plastic container, then Bergan Stak-N-Store Stackable Storage might do the trick. Besides this 9-gallon container, the brand also offers 18 and 24-gallon options.
This container features a lid sealed door at the front, which gives you an easy access to your dog’s food. Furthermore, due to its design, this storage works great for multi-pet households with a limited amount of storing space.
Made of durable materials, this container can be stored in or outside and is completely waterproof. The lock mechanism keeps the food’s smell contained and maintains the kibble’s freshness.
However, some owners have reported that their dogs were able to unlock the door and feast on the kibble undetected. Thus, if you have a mischievous pooch, we suggest picking another brand or stacking this container higher up.
- Ideal for small spaces.
- Can be kept outdoors.
- Keeps the odors contained.
- Some dogs were able to open the lock.
Do You Really Need The Best Dog Food Container?
It may seem unnecessary to spend money on a dog food container if you don’t mind seeing that huge bag of kibble sitting there. However, there is a lot of reasons for storing your dog’s kibble in a sealed container. These are some of the most compelling reasons why you should get a food bin:
– Keeps the food fresh: Once you open the bag of kibble, the food becomes exposed to various elements in the environment. From that moment on your dog’s food loses the essential nutrients and is at risk of spoilage and contamination. On the other hand, the food container will protect the food from the elements and keep it fresh.
– Protects against pests: Pests are present in any home. You may not have mice, but there are always ants, flies, cockroaches, and other nasties that will have a field day with your dog’s food. These creatures can contaminate the food and make your dog seriously sick. However, if the food is properly stored you don’t have to think about small creatures that lurk around the bin.
– Helps you stock in on time: Keeping your dog’s food in a bag may create the illusion that there is more food than it actually is. Thus, you may reach out to pour your dog a meal and scrape at the empty bottom. On the other hand, most storage containers are translucent and are a constant reminder of how much food there really is.
Better organization: In multi-pet households, it can be especially hard keeping track of different bags of food. Furthermore, there is always a risk that your dieting dog will find a way to steal and feast on the other one’s food. Storage containers can help you separate and organize food and keep it safe against greedy paws.
How To Choose The Best Dog Food Storage Container?
With so many food storage options available, it can be hard finding the one that suits all your needs. However, the following criteria will help you pick the product with the best value in your budget range.
– Quality materials: Most food containers are made of plastic, thus it is important to look for ones that are FDA approved. These products don’t contain BPA and other harmful chemicals that can compromise your dog’s health.
– Airtight: There is really no point buying a container if it doesn’t have an airtight seal. The kibble will still be exposed to environment, ants, or flies. Thus, checking if the container has a tight lid should be the first thing you do.
– Your individual needs: There is a lot of different types of dog food containers. Thus, you will have to consider which one will work best for your needs. So, are you looking for a stackable container, or one with wheels, or maybe you prefer tins? Ask yourself these questions in order to find the right food container for you.
– Capacity: Dog food containers come in all shapes and sizes. You should consider your dog’s size, age, and eating habits when deciding on the size of the container.
How To Keep Your Dog’s Food Fresh?
The way you handle your dog’s food has a great impact on the amount of time it stays fresh. Food that isn’t stored properly loses its freshness and valuable nutrients and can jeopardize your dog’s health. Thus, here are some tips that will help you keep your pup’s meals fresh and delicious for a longer time.
– Keep the kibble in its original bag: Pouring the bag of kibble into the container may not be the best way to keep it fresh. Food bags are specially made to prolong the kibble’s shelf life and protect it from moisture. Hence, use that additional bit of protection and store the open bag in the sealed container.
– Properly store the container: Even if stored in an airtight container, the kibble can spoil if left exposed to the direct sun. Thus, it is best to store the food in a dark and cool place like a basement or pantry. You can, of course, slide the bin under the table or in a cabinet, as long as it isn’t exposed to too much heat.
– Make sure that the container is airtight: Only an airtight container can preserve your dog’s food and keep it fresh for longer periods of time. If the seal isn’t tightly shut the kibble is exposed to elements and it will soon start to lose its quality. Hence, check if the container is properly sealed after every use.
Finding the best dog food container is all about figuring out what your individual needs are. Based on our research one product stands out from the rest due to the variability it offers. The IRIS Airtight Pet Food Container Combo Kit has two storage units, which makes it suitable both for home and travel use. Furthermore, its translucent design will alert you when the kibble is running low, and four wheels make it easy to move around.