Boxers are a breed that constantly holds its place amongst top 10 most popular dogs in the United States. An its no wonder because these are highly active and energetic medium size dogs that are famous for their playfulness, friendliness, and loyalty to their owners.
Usually weighing from 50 to 70 pounds this breed was created in Germany where it was used for hunting large game such as wild boar, bison, and bears. But nowadays this breed is kept as a pet for its happy personality and devoted temperament.
Like all other dogs, Boxers should have a targeted diet that will aim to fulfill all of their nutritional requirements. And in order to help you provide a happy and healthy lifestyle for your dog, we will tell you how to find the best dog food for Boxers.
|Name||Image||Best For||Main Ingredient||PROTEIN||LIFE STAGE||Price|
|Taste Of The Wild||Growing puppy, digestion problems||Buffalo||28%||Puppy|
|BLUE Wilderness Grain Free||Digestive problems, food allergies||Duck||34%||Adult|
|Natural Balance||Sensitive stomach, food allergies||Duck Meal||21%||Adult|
|Wellness CORE||Active dogs, digestive problems||Deboned Turkey||34%||Adult|
|Orijen Original||For very active dogs, for joints and mobility||Deboned Chicken||38%||All life stages|
How To Find The Best Dog Food For Boxers?
This is a very energetic breed that likes to be in motion all the time, and need proper nutrients in order to fuel it. These dogs can suffer from specific health issues so it is very important to find the right food that will not play part in causing them.
What Are The Nutritional Needs Of Boxers?
All dogs have the same basic needs, but not all of them need the same amount of nutrients to function properly. Since Boxers are full of energy they need a high-calorie diet that is consisted of:
- Proteins: This is the most important nutrient and always should be listed as number one ingredient. For this breed look for foods that have 25-30% proteins, if your dog is very active he will need more.
- Fats: Boxers are very active dogs but they are still prone to obesity and they don’t need a fat-rich diet. Ideally, your pooch will need 15% crude fat in order to function properly and has a healthy coat.
- Carbohydrates: When it comes to this breed focus your attention on the type of carbs, not the amount. Since they can develop allergies and sensitive stomach it is best to stick to grain free, or foods made from wholesome carbs.
What Is The Calorie Requirement Of This Breed?
There are many factors to consider in order to find out how many calories your dog needs, age, activity level, weight, and health problems are just a few of them. Every dog is an individual but there are some general guidelines that can help you figure the needs of your pooch.
- Puppy: All puppies are very active and need more calories to fuel them. Growing Boxer puppies need 55 calories for each pound of body weight.
- Adult: Adult Boxer that meets his exercise requirements of a minimum 30 minutes per day needs to eat 25-35 calories per pound of bodyweight. If your dog is less active he will require less, and more active dog a little bit more.
- Senior: As the dog gets older he becomes less active, with Boxers this typically happens when a dog is 8 or 9 years old. Usually, senior dogs need to eat from 25-30 calories per pound of bodyweight but this can depend on your pooches activity level.
This breed can have a prolonged adolescent stage when they are still developing but they have a hard time keeping their weight and can look a bit skinny. If this is the case with your dog it is best to consult with your vet so he can determine how many calories your dog needs.
What Are Common Health Concerns In Boxers?
This breed can develop certain health problems that can be avoided or managed with the best dry dog food for Boxers. That’s why it is important to spend some time researching labels since bad diet can have a big impact on your dog’s lifespan.
- Bloat: Boxers have a wide chest that makes them prone to this life-threatening condition. Bloat is caused by excess gases and can result in the twisting of the stomach. The best way to prevent this from happening is to feed your dog with 2-3 smaller meals and to postpone any activities and exercises for an hour after the meal.
- Allergies: This breed is particularly prone to develop food allergies, and most common culprits are chicken and beef from proteins, corn, wheat, and soy from grains. If your dog is experiencing symptoms like itching, red spots and excessive licking of paws you should take him to the vet and consult about alternative diet.
- Hypothyroidism: This disorder will make your dog look tired and lethargic and can also cause hair loss and skin problems. One more symptom includes an increase in appetite that can lead to obesity.
- Weight gain: You would never guess it, but this highly active breed can become overweight. They have healthy appetites and if they are digesting more calories than they need they can quickly pack on the pounds.
- Hip Dysplasia: This is a degenerative condition commonly seen in medium size and larger breeds. Boxers who are diagnosed with this condition need to maintain their healthy weight since more pounds will put an even larger strain on their hip joints.
- Boxers Colitis: Or sensitive stomach is commonly seen condition in Boxer’s younger than 4 years. This is an inflammatory bowel disease that causes chronic diarrhea, vomiting, and gases. If the condition is severe a dog will require medicines and can benefit from eating grain free diet.
With all of that covered, you are probably excited to find out what is the best dog food for Boxers in order to find a healthy and nutritious diet for your dog. With no further due we will proceed with the review part of our guide.
This brand focuses on creating dog food that will mirror the ancestral diet of dogs, and they use only high-quality ingredients to do so. All of their foods contain novel meat as the main ingredient which can be a great choice for Boxers who are allergic to commonly used meats.
The main ingredient in High Prairie puppy formula is Buffalo, followed by Lamb Meal, Roasted Bison, and Roasted Venison. Together they create a variety of flavors your Boxer puppy will love and a minimum of 28% crude protein.
This is a grain free formula that sports only easily digestible Sweet potatoes, Peas, and Potatoes. They create a maximum of 5% crude fiber, that won’t cause diarrhea and vomiting in puppies with sensitive stomachs.
The main source of fat is Canola oil and it is combined with Salmon oil for great looking skin and coat. Together they are the main sources of energy and create a minimum of 17% crude fat.
Fresh Blueberries and Raspberries are included for vitamins that will keep your pup’s immune system strong. All the necessary minerals are also included to make this dry food complete and balanced for daily feeding.
Dried chicory root is the natural source of prebiotic fiber that will support a healthy gastrointestinal system and better digestion. This makes this formula our choice for the best dog food for Boxer puppies.
Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids are also present to maintain your pup’s coat healthy and shiny and chelated minerals are included to support better nutrient absorption.
This dry puppy formula contains 364 kcal/cup and is suitable for daily feeding of still growing Boxer puppies.
BLUE found its inspiration in observing the diet of the wolves to help your dog get all the nutrients it needs accentuated with great flavors. Every formula sports LifeSource bits, that are cooked on lower temperatures in order to preserve all the necessary nutrients.
The main ingredient is Duck, followed by Chicken meal and Menhaden Fish Meal. They provide a variety of tasty flavors and a minimum of 34% crude protein, which is a perfect amount for Boxers.
Peas and Sweet Potatoes are grain free sources of carbohydrates that will keep your dog’s belly full without causing gastrointestinal upset. They create a maximum of 6% crude fiber, that is easy to digest.
The main source of fat is Chicken fat, followed by Flaxseed for great looking skin and coat. As main sources of energy, they make a minimum of 15% crude fat, which is an optimal amount for always playful Boxers.
Blueberries and Cranberries are the fresh fruits that provide vitamins for a strong immune system and a healthy dog. Carrots, Parsley, and Dried Kelp are sources of essential minerals that will keep your dog’s organs functioning properly.
This food also contains Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids that are good for skin and coat health and Glucosamine that will maintain joint health and mobility.
This is a complete and balanced formula for adult dogs and it is suitable for daily feeding. One cup contains 416 kcal so make sure that you are feeding proper amounts to your dog.
This formula is designed to feed your dog with healthy and nutritious ingredients while you’re seeking the culprit for his food allergies or sensitive stomach. This food will help your dog gain back his digestive health while eating high-quality ingredients.
The main source of protein is Duck Meal, followed by Duck for all dogs who are allergic to chicken. They create a minimum of 21% crude protein, for healthy muscles and tissues.
Grain free source of carbohydrates is Potato that won’t cause any stomach upset. It creates a maximum of 4% crude fiber, that is easy to digest and soothing to gastrointestinal system.
The main source of fat is Salmon oil that will keep your dog’s skin and coat radiant and in pristine condition. It creates a minimum of 10% crude fat, that is on the low side but you will be feeding this to your dog until you find out what is causing his sensitivities so he will be fine with this amount.
All the necessary vitamins and minerals are included to make this food complete and balanced for daily feeding. And with omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, this is our choice for best dog food for Boxers with sensitive stomachs.
Wellness is one of the most popular brands of food for pet parents everywhere. They use only premium ingredients and try their best to make food that will fit the needs of all dogs, and with so many product lines and formulas, they are doing a great job.
The main ingredient in CORE Original is Deboned Turkey, followed by Turkey Meal and Chicken Meal. These are great protein sources that provide 34% crude protein, which is an optimal amount to active Boxers.
Peas, Potatoes, and Ground Potatoes are grain free carbohydrates that are easy to digest and won’t cause gastrointestinal problems. They provide a maximum of 4% crude fiber, for a sense of fullness.
The main source of fat is Chicken Fat and it is combined with Salmon oil to make your dog’s skin and coat healthy, soft and shiny. As main sources of energy, they make a minimum of 16% crude fat, which is an optimal amount of energy for high energy and active dogs.
Spinach, Broccoli, Carrots, and Parsley are fresh sources of necessary minerals for healthy organ function. Fruits like Apples and Blueberries are there to provide vitamins for a strong immune system and overall health.
CORE Original contains Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids for a healthy and shiny skin and coat. For joint health and mobility, Wellness included Glucosamine and Chondroitin.
This is a complete and balanced formula suitable for adult dogs with allergies and sensitive stomach for daily feeding. It contains 421 kcal//cup, which is a perfect amount for always active Boxers.
All ingredients in this formula are regionally sourced in Canada, and Orijen uses only premium quality natural ingredients to provide the best for your dog. Their Original formula is made from 85% meat, 15% vegetables and 0% grains.
The main ingredient is Deboned Chicken, followed by Deboned Turkey, Yellowtail Flounder, Whole Eggs, and Whole Atlantic Mackerel just to name a few. They provide a variety of meaty flavors all dogs love and 38% crude protein, for lean muscles and healthy tissues.
Whole Green Peas, Whole Navy Beans, Red Lentils, and Chickpeas are easily digestible carbohydrates that will keep your dog’s tummy full of healthy fibers. Combined they make a maximum of 4% crude fiber, that won’t cause gastrointestinal problems.
The main source of fat is Chicken fat, followed by Herring oil for a healthy skin and coat. As main sources of energy, they provide a minimum of 18% crude fat, for very active and dogs under training.
Whole Pumpkin, Butternut Squash, Kale, and Spinach are providing minerals and are healthy to digest. Fruits like Apples and Pears provide necessary vitamins for a strong immune system and overall health.
This formula contains Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids that support soft and radiant coat and healthy skin. Orijen also included Glucosamine and Chondroitin for healthy joints and mobility.
Original Dry is complete and balanced food made from premium ingredients and it is suitable for all life stages and daily feeding. With 449 kcal/cup, this is a high-calorie food that needs to be served according to your dog’s needs.
When searching for the best dog food for Boxers it is important to assess your dog’s individual needs and possible health problems. This is a highly active and playful breed that likes to eats but can also gain weight and develop joint problems so you have to make sure that your chosen food won’t attribute to any of these problems.
Like all breeds, Boxers need to have targeted diet that will fit their unique needs and help them lead a happy, active, and healthy life. Make sure to consult with your vet prior to making any dietary changes in your dog’s life, because he will know to tell you what type of food is best for your dog.
Last Updated on by